Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Change

This life is full of changes. Some of them good, some of them bad, most of them inevitable.
They say that the first year after high school is one of them most exciting, unpredictable, turmoil filled times of your life.
And they're weren't wrong.

Most high school sweethearts break up within that first year. Hell, my Summer fling couldn't even survive the transition to university.
No matter how you loved all your friends at school, you'll never see them as frequently as you used to, and the relationships suffer. In this day and age, there are dozens of 'I haven't seen you in ages, let's catch up!' Facebook comments, but they're hardly ever acted upon.
It's the sad truth that people just grow apart: both emotionally and physically. By the end of this week, the two people I consider my best friends will be living on other continents.
It's due to circumstances beyond their control, and I don't doubt that the strength of our friendship will remain intact even over thousands of miles and several time zones.
But it's a reality that I have to face: my life will go on without them.

I've fallen in love, and I've had my heart broken.
I've soared to brand new heights, and I've sunk to all time lows.
But I've picked myself up off the floor each and every time.
I don't want to take any of these changes for granted, because as terrifying as they are, there's nothing more a fear more than a life of stagnancy and discontent.
I've met some incredible people and done some crazy things, and who knows what the future has in store?

Maybe one day we'll all meet up, and it will be like nothing has changed at all.
Maybe we won't even recognise each other when we walk past each other on the street.
I honestly can't say I hope for either scenario.
I don't want to cling to the past because I'm scared of the future, but I don't want to create a whole new life where my past never mattered at all.
One thing I know for sure is that broken hearts don't last forever.
And I think I'm ready to love again.

But I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

"when all you wanted was to be wanted,
wish you could go back and tell yourself what you know now" - Taylor Swift

No comments:

Post a Comment