Sunday, May 16, 2010

Reason

There's something in the water, something in the air. I think the world is going crazy.

Watching the news last night, I felt utterly overwhelmed by the amount of violence, death and destruction that I saw.
From protests in Bangkok to a teenage girl being murdered by people she met over the Internet, it just seems humanity is currently stuck in this downward spiral.
Just tonight, I came home from a peaceful evening to find someone had upturned the garbage bins of about five or six houses, and knocked over the bins outside the townhouse in a Domino-effect style.
In an attempt to see myself as a citizen with some strain of moral fibre, I went about correcting the situation, but as I did so, couldn't help but grumble to myself and ask myself, "Why? What was the point of anybody doing that?"
(Not that I am equalling street vandalism to tragic violence; it's just part of a point that on a spectrum right from the catastrophic to the petty, people are going insane.)

Not all the craziness in man-made.
There's been some terrible accidents, one in particular that hit very close to home to a fair few people that I know. Yet in a similar fashion, I myself can't help but question, "Why? Why did that have to happen?"
Even my philosophy of 'everything happens for a reason' fails to give much comfort in situations like that.
Sometimes, knowing that is just not enough.
Sometimes, we need that reason.

"Turn on Channel 7 at a quarter to 8,
you see the same damn thing, it's just a different day
and no one really knows why this is happening" - Good Charlotte

No comments:

Post a Comment