Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Strangers

Do you know what it's like to be in love?

I used to think I did.
That sense of security, that feeling of appreciation, knowing that there's someone out there who means the world to you.
Someone you can share yourself with completely, who knows every inch of your body like the back of their hand, who can sense what you're thinking with a mere touch of their fingertips.
But as the saying goes, 'all good things must come to an end'.
So what of falling out of love? Is it even possible?
Did I even love him in the first place, or was it a ghastly prank my consciousness was playing on me?
Do I even know what love is?

Some would tell me I'm foolish to think I'd find true love so young.
But what is 'true love', anyway?
Is it a long-term, committed relationship, in which there is one person who you would love to spend all of your time with? Who makes you feel right when you're with them, no matter what, and hurts when you see them go?
Because I've been there, and despite the giddy feelings, it ain't all smiles and sunshine.

Who says love was built to last?
In my recent bachelor status, I've danced with many a gentleman in the dark underground lairs where we all congregate in the hope of finding 'love'.
And while I'm far from finding anything with the solidarity of my previous 'love', I'm finding my experiences no less aesthetically pleasing, exciting to the senses.
Who says 'true love' can't be stumbled upon and appreciated amongst the sweat and glitter?
When all is said and done, what is the difference between a short-lived moment of passion and energy, and the strung-out emotions of a relationship.

Really, who says you can't fall in love for a night?

"once upon a time there was light in my life
now there's only love in the dark" - Total Eclipse of the Heart, Bonnie Tyler

1 comment:

  1. I think true love exists in any form you want it to.
    I can honestly say that Connor is someone I can't live without, doesn't mean I have to be in a relationship with him. I will love that kid till the day I die but wether you would consider that true love.. well who knows.

    True love, to me, is what you make of it. I know I have truly loved 2 people in my life and I continue loving them to this day, but wether you would call that 'true love'... well who knows.

    But I'm sure we will all find 'true love' one day, but I think in reality the question is 'is it the love we want?' or simply 'is it a love we can have?'.

    ReplyDelete