Friday, November 19, 2010

Advice

A problem I've always had is being able to listen to my own advice.

I don't think I'm on the only one.
I've known people who have had the most amazing, intelligent words to tell their friends to help them through their problems, but when something bad happens to them, they just can't seem to apply their wisdom to their own situations.
I just can't help but wonder why.

I think that maybe, deep down we already know these words that people are constantly telling us in our times of need.
But we subconsciously refuse to recognise or acknowledge it, because there's a part of us that wants someone else to listen to our problems, and hoping that someone else will care.
It's all well and good to be able to sit down and logically work out the best thing for you to do, but in the end there's little emotional satisfaction in that.
We just have this inherent need for the human companionship that comes with having a shoulder to cry on, and the objective advice of a third person perspective.
Sometimes I find myself doing stupid things that I would probably reprimand my friends for doing, or at the very least throw my 2 cents in and give them some advice. Even if they haven't asked for it, I'd like to think there might be something in my words that might help them.
I don't think of it as butting in or telling them what to do; I think it's letting them know I care by having an opinion on their actions.

But when it comes to my own actions, I struggle to repeat the words I tell them to myself.
Maybe it's because secretly I'm a hypocrite and I love what I'm doing.
Or maybe it's just because I want someone to tell me what to do.
Maybe I want someone to offer their advice and opinion, in a similar display of letting me know they care.
Everyone needs a helping hand, now and then.

Sometimes you find those people who resist any kind of advice or help.
I think in some ways, they're the people who want or need it the most.
I've got no qualms about independence and doing your own thing.
I just think that sometimes, the reason we can't listen to our own advice is being we simply need other people to say it for us.
To remind us that we're really not alone.


"I've got a feeling if I sang this loud enough, you would sing it back to me"
- Paramore

No comments:

Post a Comment