Friday, November 12, 2010

Contrast

There's always two sides to every story.
Or at best, there's always part of if you never knew.

One person's pleasure is another person's pain.
One man's loss is another man's gain.
You can know someone so well, like the back of your hand, and still get a surprise every now and then.
In life, we have to compare what we think we know against what is possibly, or probably, the truth.
I was ignorant to think that my selfish actions could be divided from the personal experiences of those around me.

And now I sit here on the floor, God only knows what coursing through my body, I begin to realise that.
Doing what you want to do, you're going to hurt people.
No matter what you do in life, someone is going to get hurt.
I suppose it's all about choosing the path of the greatest utility, maximising the good for everyone.
Or is it wrong to make your own personal decisions based on your own personal motives.

I trace over my skin, fingering the lines of my tattoo.
I chose the yin-yang as a representation of balance and duality; recognising both sides to every story.
I've lost sight of that goal in some ways, I think. I guess that's why I had it tattooed into my skin; to remind me of the values that I try to uphold in my everyday life.

Put it all together; the dark and light, the black and white, the wrong and the right.
Everything you do is significant and important.
Make sure it's the right decision for yourself, but make sure you know how it effects everyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment