Monday, November 29, 2010

Talk

One thing that I've learnt a lot in my life, quite a lot in the past year, but particularly in this past month, is that people thrive off gossip.

People will believe anything that makes a good story.
Any sense of perspective is thrown out the window in order to spin recent events into the hottest news that is sure to get tongues wagging.
Tabloid media does it all the time, and it's most unfortunate that life feels the need to imitate the press.
And I won't claim to be immune: when some delicious scandal has gone down, I as much as the next person am more than curious to hear the details, to know who said that, what happened and where it went down.
I'm not some superhuman that is resistant to our innate desire to know what is essentially none of our business.
However, one thing I do try my hardest to do is utilise the tool of perspective.

If university has taught me anything, it's that critical thinking skills really are required in everyday life, and you really can't believe half of what you hear, see or read.
I'm wary to take any piece of gossip with a pinch of salt, to question the integrity, and to ultimately understand the perspective of the informant and the nature through with the information is acquired.

But enough with the big words.
Basically, to steal a quote from Lord Voldemort's Twitter, "The reason the world is so screwed up is that people can't appreciate that the villain in your personal story is the hero in their own."
People who feel sorry for themselves have the ability to twist the details with a story, keeping enough fact in tact to hold onto the truth, and paint themselves as the victim.
And quite frankly, it's pathetic.
I am not the villain.
If they had the ability to see from my perspective, maybe people wouldn't be so stuck and thriving on high school drama and we might all be able to behave like real people again.
Wouldn't that be nice? Though maybe I'm asking for too much...

The useful thing about tabloids, however, is that most people know they're full of shit.
The people they report on can, in most cases, shrug off the gossip knowing that it's silly banter that no one need take seriously.
It's all talk from a skewed perspective.
So they can say what they want, but I honestly couldn't care less.


"Honestly I think it's kinda funny that you waste your breath talkin' about me - got me feeling kinda special, really." - Ke$Ha

No comments:

Post a Comment